The Typewriter

As you can see, I’m a typewriter. As you can see, I’m not as inanimate as you thought I was. As you can see, I do remember a lot of things – the stories that have been written through me, channelized on to paper by my mechanics. You know how they say that a guitar remembers every song, every note that’s ever been played on it? And how they say that a book remembers every emotion, every bit of imagination that flashed through the reader’s mind? Well, we typewriters – not all of them, but just some of the more gifted ones amongst us – have the same ability; especially the ones that have been used to tell their stories to the world. I am lucky to be one such typewriter.

I’ve been handed around a lot, passed on from one hand to the next for the initial few years of my life. During that time, I was nothing more than a clerk’s tool – writing memos, printing an address – that was supposed to be my forte. Nobody wondered if the mechanical piece of equipment wanted to tell stories. Rather, if this particular piece of equipment wanted to learn about the art of telling stories. Things seemed hopeless (in hindsight, of course, because I never knew how fulfilling telling stories could be back then), until I was bought and paid for by her.

She was a romantic; an adventuress. She loved making mistakes, and she loved breaking the rules – not because she was a rebel or an anarchist, but just to test the waters. When people around her had started using a trusty computer, she stuck by faithfully with our kind. She picked me up at a flea market, lovingly cradled me in her arms, and carried me home like I was her first born child. It was love at first touch.

I never knew what she looked like, but I knew her better than anyone else can claim. We stood by each other, faithfully, for many years. I had never seen her face, but I knew her fingertips well. I knew her thoughts, and her dreams, like they were my own. In a way, they were my own. After all, it was only through her that I lived – really lived – my life the way I did.

She loved telling stories, but there weren’t many who were keen to hear them. She wasn’t beautiful in the conventional way (in fact, she used to call herself hideous!) and so never seemed to have many friends around her. She wanted to study. She wanted to write. She wanted to tell her stories. She wanted to build something, even if it was nothing more than an imagined, fantasy world. The world around her, however, wasn’t so keen to let her do that. The world around her wanted her to live a quiet life, have a family, make babies, raise them, and slip away once she was done in the silent arms of death. But she wouldn’t have it that way.

Having never seen her face, I never had the chance to make such judgements. I loved her for the way she told her stories, and the way she spoke them out to me. I revelled in the fact that I used to be the first one to hear those stories, and I nurtured them as if they were all mine. Now, I know I have a few of my own to tell, but they’ll never be as good as hers. But, I digress.

For fifty years or so, we made and broke people. We conjured up worlds together. We gave our characters strange names, people who came from strange places. We built those men, those women, and those children carefully, and breathed life into them. We felt the sting of the arrows, or the blow of a mighty punch. We felt the power of death, wielded by our hands. We made our heroes bleed, and we made our villains cry. We rejoiced in victory, we lamented for the dead. We fell in love, and we had many a lovers’ spat. You see, we built worlds together – intangible though they might be. And when the story was done, we stepped back to look at it for a while, before diving right into the next story.

It was only through her that I created something new, and I loved her for it.

It’s been many years since she passed away, but she lives on in my memories. And the stories she crafted so carefully; they still burn strong inside me, and I do churn one of them out from time to time – there are, after all, so many to choose from. But then, I’ve become old. I’ve become redundant now. I’ve been locked up inside a storage box and left alone for many years. The world has moved on, but I can’t.

I won’t have to. I still have her memories with me. I still have her stories with me. It doesn’t matter what her name was. It doesn’t matter what she looked like. I’ve never seen her face, and I’ve never known her name – but when those fingertips touched me, and when a new story poured forth from her mind into me, and on to the paper that was being hammered, I knew that none of that mattered.

Because I knew then, just how beautiful she really was.

~
Inspired from Magpie Tales.

Comments

  1. lovely piece Arnab, I enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Isabel... Thanks for the comment. I couldn't take part in last week's prompt, and didn't want to miss out this week as well :)

    Do read the other stories here as well.

    Cheers... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire how you morph "make or break" into "we made and broke people" - a savory line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story and beautifully told. Poor typewriter - I hope it receives recognition one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a nice blog and this is a wonderful story well told!! :) It is sad the typewriter era is officially over!! ....but old habits die hard, yet memories are etched on heart forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tale Arnab. Its well told.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jabblog... I hope so too. :)

    I remember my first lesson-of-sorts in typing happened on my uncle's old typewriter. The keys were tough, the layout was more difficult, but I still can't forget the feeling I had as I typed a small letter that seemed to take forever...

    Thanks for the comment... cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jane... Thank you :) I'm still to cover all of the Magpie Tales for this week, will do it over the span of this week.

    Cheers, and hope to see you around...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nanka... Thanks for the wonderful comment :) We're a community of writers, and we exist to ensure that reading and writing doesn't get phased away in favour of films, and TV. Like the typewriter...

    Old habits do die hard. Maybe, that's why, even though I see a lot of people around me losing interest in reading much, I can't give up on it...

    Hope to see you around... Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great little story, well written. I have never worked on a typewriter. Clearly I have missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lucy... It's a very interesting feeling you get when you're working on a typewriter. With every press of the key, you can feel the gears that work beneath them to hammer on the ink to the paper. I'd love to give it a go another time, but I know it will be tough to find a typewriter these days :)

    Thanks for the comment... Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that wonderful story. I had a typewriter that wrote the e, then had to put pen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Arnab. This makes me cry. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfully written... Love it!

    JJRod'z

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Leovi... Thank you :) Typewriters have a wonderful feel to them, no matter how used to you become to the computer...

    ReplyDelete
  16. @JJRod'z... Thanks for dropping by :)

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  17. @thingy... The typewriter's happy. It's got the stories, and the poems, and the memories to keep company... :)

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, how sad... but I love the POV of the typewriter. Memories do live on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @laurie... In a manner of speaking, memories are the only way we experience life, if you really think about it. If you really think about it, that wonderful cup of coffee (or tea :D ) that you enjoyed in the morning exists only in your memory now, and the reason you know that you had it is only because you remember drinking it :)

    Something that's been in my mind for quite some time now...

    Thanks for the comment... see you around here. Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its sweet and nice how u have brought life to a non living object
    I'll make sure to go through your stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @veenz... I'm glad you enjoyed the story :) There are plenty more to read on the site, I hope you do stay a while and read them...

    Thanks for the comment... Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  22. holy crap, it fits so well with mine.
    even more so with what i only thought and didnt write.
    its almost scary.
    o.O

    very good write, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm. Well, now I know why I write in an old fashioned composition notebook.
    (Though, I wonder what IT is thinking!) ;)

    Loving your stuff........you can get lost in this blog!

    Have a creative day!
    ~Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Sweet Pea... I haven't been able to read through much of the posts for this week's Magpie. I'll be covering up on it over the weekend :)

    Thanks for the comment. Hope you enjoy the rest of the stories as well...

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Mimi... I think about that too. What that old rusty typewriter would have been thinking while we were learning how to work it, what the pen and the paper thinks while I write the stories on them. Fun to get lost in thoughts like that from time to time, don't you think? :)

    Thanks for the comment... do read through the other stories as well. Cheers, and see you around here...

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Gautami... Thank you :) Glad you enjoyed it...

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Kathy... The typewriter loves to do things like that. They evolve too... like us :)

    Thanks for the comment here...

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

… and she said, “I’m all yours.”

A Brand New Family

The Friend Circle