‘An Eulogy’ or ‘Laughing in the face of Death’


Geoffrey wasn’t a deep guy. Not by a long shot. Maybe it was this that made Brad chuckle when he wondered if it would be better to have buried him in a shallow grave. He stopped himself from chuckling though – he was, after all, at a funeral. ‘I’d probably been hanging out too much with you, Geoff,’ thought Brad to himself, while Geoff’s smiling face twinkled behind the glass of the picture frame. The candles reflected on the glass gave him a holy look, which was ironic when Brad thought about the situation in which the picture had been taken. It had been anything but holy; the thought of it made Brad chuckle again.

‘Stop it, Geoff! You’re killing me – which is weird, considering that you’re dead now! I won’t be able to read out your eulogy if I go on like this,’ thought Brad, as the priest finished with the prayers. It was time for Brad’s last words for his best friend.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for coming here. Geoff was my best friend, we grew up together, and we knew each other like brothers. There’s a part of me that still has to come to terms with the fact that he’s gone, but right now his memories are still alive and kicking.”

Brad took his eyes away from the piece of paper in front of him, and looked at the crowd sitting in front of him. There was a hint of a smile even now on his face as he said, “It’s probably because of that, because of the fact that I still haven’t come to terms with the fact that he’s gone, really, that I was chuckling sitting back there. Call me crazy, but it still seems that he’s around me somewhere, whispering his endless line of silly jokes in my ears even now!”

The crowd laughed softly, nervously, and Brad went on reading from the little piece of paper.

“Geoff was a clown. He had a slightly sick, and a very weird sense of humour. Unfortunately, I was one of the few who got that sense of humour, which meant that while others were getting revolted or getting offended or getting ready to bash Geoff’s head in, I would be rolling somewhere, clutching my stomach in pain. He got beaten up a lot because of that as well, because I was too busy laughing at his jokes than standing next to him to save his ass.

“I’ve borne the brunt of his sense of humour at a number of places as well. I know neither of us can visit the local sandwich place anymore,” said Brad, and was smothered by a fresh bout of giggles. “That day was funny on so many levels! I don’t want to get into the details of it, and I don’t think any of you would want me to, either. Let’s just say that it had something to do with a BMT Sub, shall we? It was on that day this particular picture was taken, in fact – moments before we were thrown out of the establishment, and asked never to return…”

An uncomfortable silence filled the space while Brad stifled his laughter once more. The people sitting shared disapproving glances with each other. Most of the people knew Geoff as a young man full of potential, on the brink of his bright future. His sudden and unexpected death had reminded them of the fragility of life, and the overpowering stillness and finality of death. And yet, here was a boy, Geoff’s best friend, talking about his memories in such petty terms.

Brad didn’t care, though. He composed himself as best as he could, and went on reading from the little white, slightly crumpled sheet in his hand. “Geoff, you were a swell guy. You knew just how to cheer your friends when they were feeling low. You always knew just what to say in every situation. You always had a witty retort up your sleeve, and tried as we might, we never could figure out how you came up with those. You might have seemed to be a smart-ass, Geoff, but you cared about us. You cared about your friends. You cared enough to make us laugh, and you did that so well! I’ll miss you, my friend, for the rest of my life. I know this is farewell, but it doesn’t feel that way. Maybe that’s because we’ve never had a goodbye. We’ve always shared jokes instead, something that made us laugh through even the toughest days – when I left town, when you went to college, when our little group of friends was scattered all over the country. Those silly, shallow, and sometimes rude jokes were our way to say goodbye, Geoff. I’ve tried to do that here, but I wonder if it’ll work or not. Here goes…”

Brad’s voice choked up as he reached here, and he sniffled loudly. A fat, potent teardrop rolled heavily down his cheeks, followed quickly by another.

“A man walked into a bar…” he began, but the teardrops fell on to the nearly white, slightly crumpled piece of paper, washing away the rest of the joke with it.

~

Inspired by Magpie Tales

Comments

  1. It was difficult reading your Magpie without crying ..... how many of us have 'been there.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the touching ending of your story very much, but I think it would be worthwhile reading carefully to see if you could edit out some of the words/ phases you have duplicated in places, in order to tighten the writing in the rest of the piece...

    e.g. "He had a slightly sick, and a very weird sense of humour. Unfortunately, I was one of the few who got that sense of humour" - you could have said 'got it', rather than repeat 'sense of humour', and it wouldn't have altered the sense....

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Helen... Thank you :) Couldn't help it... Tess gave us such an emotional prompt for this week...

    Hope to see you around here... Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tess... Thanks a lot, both for the comment as well as for the prompt. This one made me think a lot... that's always a good thing, right? :)

    Cheers... hope to see you here again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jinksy... Thanks for the comment, and the feedback... I'll go over it one more time, and see if there's any way I can make it a little less wordy...

    Cheers, and hope to see you here again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rahul... Thank you :)

    Hope to see you around here. Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Wong... Thanks :)

    See you around here... Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there - good reading.

    I find gulls are always good to watch as well.

    You may find my other (wordy) blog of interest - have linked to it here.

    Cheers - SM

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Stewart... Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    I'll take a look at the 'wordy' blog, it looks interesting for sure :)

    Cheers, and hope to see you around soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Arnab. I admire your writing ability and even more so, your determination to sit down and write.

    I hope you will get to visit here before the sea dries up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Dina... Thank you for that wonderful comment :) I hope you like the other stories and poems shared on the site as well.

    Cheers, and hope to see you on the site...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a skilled write Arnab and the beautiful ending has left tears in my eyes. Beautifully done!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anna... I'm happy that you liked it so much :)

    Cheers, and hope to see you around...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

… and she said, “I’m all yours.”

A Brand New Family

The Friend Circle