Ladies & Gentlemen, Mr. Brad Ramanujam...

This post was loosely inspired from a prompt at dVerse, which asked for poems on taboo subjects. I’m not a good poet, so this is what I ended up writing instead. This is entirely a work of fiction. It contains a lot of profanity (intended in a humorous way only) and talks about taboo subjects like drugs, sex and prostitution. Please do not read this if you are in any way offended by any of the topics that have been mentioned above.

The name Brad Ramanujam is an anagram of my own name, Arnab Majumdar. No offence intended for any Brad Ramanujams or Dan Fedoseevs out there.

~
(audience applauds)

My name is Brad Ramanujam. I know it’s a weird name…

(audience laughs),

but wait a while before you start laughing. It’s about to get better.

My name’s Brad Ramanujam, and I was a lonely child. I had friends, but at home I was alone. I envied my friends who had siblings. Then, I’d go back home to my bland room and try to sleep, wishing that I’d have a little sister or a little brother someday.

Thing is, my dad left when I was a little kid. So, having a little sister or a brother became a bit difficult. At least, that’s how it seemed at that time to my innocent little mind – no dad, no brothers or sisters. Simple childish logic.
(Brad laughs)

(audience laughs)

For a long time, I used to keep wondering why my dad left. My mother never gave me the answers. Of course, she wasn’t around much for me to ask the questions, but that’s ok. I was fine, really. Except a few unanswered questions. But hey, who doesn’t have unanswered questions as children, right?

Now, the name, Brad Ramanujam

(audience laughs)

Yeah I know, I find the damned name funny too. Now, this name, Brad Ramanujam. Brad was the name my mother chose. Ramanujam was my dad, and for some reason she chose that name as well. Why, Mom? You’d think a name like Ramanujam, combined with the name Brad, would give me some leverage in high-school?

So, I got bullied a lot. A lot! For the first few years, I never got home when my hair wasn’t soppy – that’s how much I got bullied. It kinda grows on you, over time, though.

I got bullied because of my name a lot, and every time my head would be dunked into a toilet – that’s how I used to get the soppy hair every day, if you guys are keeping up –

(audience laughs)

I used to curse that sonofabitch whose name I had to keep. Ramanujam! Try cursing with your head bobbing inside the toilet. It’s fucking hard!

(audience laughs)

Hell, the guy wasn’t even around, fuck him! I wanted to drop the name, but high-school names stick on with you for a long time. A really long time. I was Ramanujam till the end of my school days. Thankfully, I grew up a bit, and the bullies couldn’t pick me up that easily, so the head-down-the-toilet thing stopped.

My mom used to do a lot of drugs. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, shit like that. You know the drugs I’m talking about, oh you know I’m sure – even the smarmy bastards in their business suits. You’re looking at me right now as though you’re sorry, but I know what you’re thinking – if I have any with me right now or not!

(audience laughs)

Or, maybe if I’m still in touch with my mom anymore.

(audience laughs)

Or if I have my mom’s dealer’s contact number!

(audience laughs)

If you have any such questions… meet me after the show and we’ll talk! Now…

(audience laughs)

Now, moving on. So, my name’s Brad Ramanujam. I used to get bullied in high school. My mom did a lot of drugs. And I was a bastard son. Oh shit… wait, I didn’t tell you that one till now, did I?

(audience laughs nervously)

Damn, I’m sorry… I’m all nervous, man, standing out here on the stage. Bright fucking lights in my face, my hands are shaking like crazy. Anyway, so I was a bastard son. Took me a few years to figure that one out. No wonder my dad didn’t stick around, eh? He just probably took one look at my mom and went, “Hey, my stuff isn’t inside me anymore. It’s your stuff now, you deal with it!”

(audience laughs)

So, yeah, he left. As if there was any chance of him sticking around. And then, mom couldn’t go around doing her job anymore – I mean, who’d want to fuck a pregnant whore now, right? Oh shit… I did it again!

(titters from the audience)

Damn, I’m so nervous. (pointing to the lights) could you turn down the lights a bit, man? Or a little bit away from me? It’s freaking the fuck out me right now! (the lights dim just a little bit) Yeah, that’ll do. Thanks.

So yeah, my mom’s a whore. Well, was, actually. I mean, she’s not a whore still. I mean, she could be, I just don’t know about it. I mean… I really shouldn’t be thinking along those lines!

My dad probably was a shitty customer that she had, but apparently she knew who he was and everything. Anyway, so there I was, swimming around in my mom’s belly waiting to be born…

(Brad smiles) (audience laughs softly)

Aah, I grew up in a shitty environment. You guys know that by now, right? Yeah…

(audience laughs a little louder)

And I was quite a shitty kid too, once I’d grown up a bit. I mean, I’d ride a bike all day long, and I kept long hair and everything, and I’d fuck a whore myself. That’s how I fell in love for the first time. I was 16, she was 18. I loved her tits, she loved my allowance. It was perfect!

(audience laughs)

Yeah. I’ve been in love a few times after that too – wait a minute, you thought I was still with the hooker, didn’t you?

(audience laughs)

You sick fucks… I’m not that messed up anymore, man! Talk about being judgmental… geez!

(audience laughs)

(speaking emphatically) I’ve fallen in love a few times after that little adventure of mine! At least wait till you know the whole story before you start judging me!

(audience laughs)

I’ve been in love with two more girls. The second girl I loved was Maria. I got her pregnant, and I ran away. I think I get that from my dad…

(audience laughs)

… the Ramanujam side of me!

(audience laughs)

My next girlfriend was called – oh geez, I keep forgetting her name.

(audience laughs)

Sarah! No, wait… Linda. No, Sarah. Who the fuck is Linda, then?

(audience laughs)

Sarah, yeah. Sarah was the next love of my life. She was a lesbian.

(audience is quiet)

I will repeat that.

(audience laughs)

I was in love with Sarah, who was a lesbian. The most fucked up part is that we both knew it. We dated for a month or so. Still confused?

(audience laughs)

Don’t worry, so am I. It’s been a few years, but I’m confused even now.

Here’s what happened. Sarah was a lesbian, but she liked fucking guys when she was high.

(audience laughs)

The funny bit is, we both knew about that fact!

(audience laughs)

And we dated!

(audience laughs)

For a fucking month!

(audience laughs)

And we fucked every night!

(audience laughs)

Well, you know… not every night, I mean… there were a few days in the middle, when things were a little messy, down there, you know.

(audience laughs)

And, I mean, I couldn’t get myself to do it for those few days… blood everywhere… gah!

(audience laughs)

But the other nights, man… we banged like bunnies! We fucked every chance we got! And I didn’t even think about it at that time.

(audience laughs)

Was she high during the whole time? The entire fucking month?

(audience laughs)

That’s some extra potent shit she must have been taking! I gotta get the name of that…

(audience laughs)

By the way, if anyone sitting here finds the effect anywhere familiar, talk to me after the show… I’d like to…

(audience laughs)

I’d like to meet you. And know you. Maybe become friends in future…?

(audience laughs)

So, yeah. I’ve had a pretty shitty life, growing up in a shitty environment and everything. But the thing that gets to me is that even now, everyone – everyone – judges me before they know me. You’re doing that as well, right now… probably.

(audience laughs)

Nod, you motherfuckers! Even if you don’t mean it, just say yes! Fucking humour me, will you?

(audience laughs, and then nods)

Thank you! So, you see. Everyone judges me…

(audience laughs)

… when they hear about my childhood, and my dad, and my mom, and the whore and the lesbian girlfriend. But I’m not entirely like that. And it hurts that people judge me like this. Like, the other day, my friend Dan Fedoseev…

(a few titters from the audience)

Hey, that’s not a funny name! His dad’s still around, you fuckers! Don’t laugh at my best friend!

(audience laughs)

My friend Dan Fff – nevermind, you’ll just laugh again! Dan…!

(audience laughs)

Dan came over to my place. We grew up in the same neighbourhood but he’d moved a while back. Now, he was my best friend, and he knew about my fucked up life. He knew everything! We were meeting after some five years or so – give or take a few… shit, I’m bad at math!

(audience laughs)

And Dan came over to my place with a bag full of doobies, all rolled out and everything.

And he offered me one, just assuming that I like smoking up! (Brad shuts up)

(expectant audience begins to laugh)

I know! That fucker just assumed that I was a pothead!

(audience laughs)

This motherfucker grew up with me, knew me inside out. And, he thought I was a fucking pothead! So…

(audience laughs)

So, I sat him down, and I helped him fire up the joint. And then, I told him, as nicely as I could… ‘Fuck you, Dan! Just ‘coz I had a nasty childhood and a shitty life, doesn’t mean I’m a pothead! I don’t do drugs, man. I just sell them!’

(audience laughs)

Thank you, all. You’ve been great tonight…

(curtains)

~

Comments

  1. Hey,
    I guess i liked it. It is kind of wry humor and not everyone will probably love this one, but as I was reading it, I couldn't help but judge the guy myself. Guess that is what you wanted in the first place, for me to realize that we judge people way too often based on what we hear and see.
    Not sure if that was your intention but it certainly did that me.

    Good to read such things once in a while.
    Cheers!!
    Anupam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anupam... That was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for, man! Thanks for making my day :D

    I actually intended the reader to feel that way. I was wondering if that was a bit too subtle or not... wasn't so in your case, at least. That's reason for me to be optimistic :)

    Thanks for reading, and thanks for the comment.

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arnab...this is good stuff, found it humorous. I really doubt that anyone would feel offensive as everything seems to be quiet natural. But one thing is for sure that not everyone would like this (those who like soft and delicate writings).
    While reading it I found it so vivid that actually it feels like I was one of in the audience where Mr. Brad Ramanujam is saying that 'Hey guys-don't judge me before it's over'....
    Good work
    Kumud

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kumud... I'm glad it had that impact. I'm glad you liked it. I'm also glad that you didn't find it offensive... yes, I know this won't be liked by everyone, and that's why I wanted to know the response of people to this.

    I'd hoped it would be vivid. I'm glad you confirmed that for me :)

    Thanks a lot for reading and commenting...

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be very honest and critical (and a lover of stand up comedy, I have no clue why I had Russell Peters' voice narrating all this to me), and I mean it in the best way possible, I would not have laughed at most of these jokes where laughter was inserted. We all like to laugh at others' sorry state some time or this other but I just found this really really sad, and a tad overdone if I may add that. I did love the twist in the end though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ashrita... I agree, it IS overdone. :) Personally, if this guy had been a stand up comic in real life, he'd probably be shooed off stage :P hehe... but then again, that was the essence of this post, in a weird way... people laugh at certain things because they're supposed to, not because they're funny. People like certain things because they're supposed to, irrespective of whether they like it or not... they judge things even before they properly understand them.. :)

    If I may say so, I like your critique.

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on that, Arnab :) Got your point exactly now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ashrita... This was a response to a call for poems about taboos that surround us, which included a lot of things that might not sound weird to one party, but are often stigmatized by people because they aren't properly understood by the party who's judging...

    I'm so glad you read this one, and took the effort to look at it at a deeper level! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, found Brad rather sad. He seemed to be trying really hard to be funny, and the audience was laughing uncomfortably, which we all do when we're not sure how to respond to someone. Nice job conveying his anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @lolamouse... Don't feel too sad for Brad. He doesn't feel all that sad himself, to be honest :D But I know what you mean there...

    It's nice to see that this didn't just skim off the surface for the readers.

    Will be dropping by at your place soon... see you around.

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a great lover or follower of stand up, maybe that's why, unlike some of your readers, I did find it humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a great lover or follower of standup. Maybe that's why, unlike some of your readers, I did find it funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @David... Considering that this was my first stab at something resembling stand-up comedy, I'm glad to know that you found it humourous :D

    Keeping other things in mind, however, it's supposed to be more subtle irony than out-and-out comedy. I hope you felt that while reading it as well...

    Thanks for dropping by. Would love to see you back here... Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. " I loved her tits, she loved my allowance. It was perfect!"
    This part. in effect, IS perfect! Reminds of the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" back when Nicholas cage used to be a respectable actor.

    You should add "Dark" into the search tags as well :) I loved it.. I loved how the character does not wallow in self pity and uses his self deprecatory banter to amuse people. I see a lot o maturity in the entire story.I guess one way to looking at things would be that if you make a name for yourself, you can get the courage to live with your bitter past. In this case, he crowd gets their share of entertainment, he ridicules himself, yet gets fame and (possibly) fortune.. now that's win win..

    Reminded me of the brilliant stand-ups by Richard Prior in the 70's (ps.. you should watch them)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @BiggSidd... Haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas yet, do I dare to watch it? I remember some of the films Nicholas Cage made in the past... what happened to him in recent years?

    I've added the tag, thanks for the recommendation :) I think it's important not to wallow in self pity. Like Jim Jeffries said, "The worst thing you can give to somebody is pity." It applies to yourself as well... who knows, maybe that's the reason why Brad became a comic in the first place? :P (I haven't explored that particular area yet. Maybe, in future, who knows?)

    I've been watching a lot of George Carlin, Bill Hicks and Richard Pryor myself (in the descending order that I mentioned there), and these three remain my personal favourites. Carlin was a big influence on this one, and he was greatly influenced by Pryor and Hicks himself... so, that connection is quite understandable. They don't make comics like that anymore, do they? The closest is Jim Jeffries - at least he's not scared to say what's on his mind the way these guys did!

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. Ramanujam, me like-a-this.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Kirit89... Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. You don't judge your brother now, do you? :P hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. what do i say now. i enjoyed reading...but sad how people become judgmental and laugh at other's tragic.

    you have created an impact arnab! that too beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @hijibijbij... You've said everything a writer wishes to hear about what they've written here :) It is a bit sad how judgmental people get, especially with things they don't even understand. It's not really fair, and the only way to make a difference is to make them understand, to make them think...

    This was my way :) wonder if it worked...

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely! every word, every line...very well written! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

… and she said, “I’m all yours.”

A Brand New Family

The Friend Circle