The Invisible Man

It was a tangerine sunset, lit by the last few rays of the sun
And on the bench, between the wrought-iron armrests
Watching the sun sinking slowly towards the ocean
We waited, my silent, patient, invisible friend
Waiting for the day to slip by quietly
Without an applause, without a hurry, without bidding farewell
While the dancing waves awaited the moon
Hoping to dance to the lunar tunes
An ordinary day had come to an end
Forgotten by many, but not by that invisible friend
And he watched in silence, those little evening waves
As they ran ashore, kissing our naked feet
Pushing the sand and ocean between our toes
The invisible friend, he wept, for the time he had lost
For the years that had passed, for the chances that had slipped by
Unseen and unheard, the invisible tears rolled down
But he didn’t wipe them off
And they fell into the ocean
Water met water, salt met salt
The sun touched the ocean
Slipping under the blanket of the night
And my invisible friend was pulled under
Still sobbing, into that darkness, into that night
As the evening crept up, as the lights dimmed out
As the night spread over, where the day had been
My invisible friend vanished,
Invisible stayed he…

~

Comments

  1. You got me at "tangerine sunset". Nice.
    You are a really good poet. I made friends with your invisible friend and will think of him next time I see water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TechnoBabe... I'm glad this one could make you linger on the way it did :) Thanks for the comments. See you around, and I hope my invisible friend does too...

    Cheers,
    Joy...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

… and she said, “I’m all yours.”

A Brand New Family

The Friend Circle