The Calling

The walls were crumbling
Yet, no one looked up
The cracks, they appeared on the walls
Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw
But too scared was he, to stare at them straight
"What would they think?" thought he
There was singing, and dancing, and happy people about
While inside his mind, he was lonelier still
And still that wall went crumbling
The cracks kept deepening
No one noticed
For they knew the wall would be smothered
By love, they said, till the cracks couldn't be seen again
While on the inside, the cracks and fissures ran strong
Beyond the wall, a distant call
He heard it in his heart
Reality was out there, while inside the wall
A fabrication was played out, meticulously
That calling, he heard
Heard as it begged, and it cried
And cajoled at times, to come join them there
"The wall, we would crack
But to break it, stronger hands are needed"
He looked around, the people that smiled at him
And went on their way, those happy people
Within that wall, confined
From the calling, from the world outside the wall
From their own selves that waited beyond
And again, he stared at the wall
"Will it?" he asked
The bricks separated, the wall broke away
A small hole, enough for him to crawl through
A quick glance over his shoulder, and he ran
Towards the wall, towards that hole
Towards his freedom, towards that call
Panting, he reached the wall, and stared
One small step is all it would take
To run away from it all
But that last step was the hardest
As he looked behind him, the happy people
They still held him back
The last step was the hardest, but freedom awaited
Beyond the bricks that lay before him
Beyond the hole that stood before him
Just one step, and the great beyond would be his
"Will it?" he asked, as he took that giant step
That tiny step through that hole

Comments

  1. Quicksand my friend... Its Quicksand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. take the step...nice story telling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Annie... Indeed it is, quicksand that's just deep enough to bury my feet and keep me there, giving me the false sense of security and stability, and minute by minute, the years pass away, till the time I suddenly turn over to you at the beach, feet still stuck in that quicksand, and ask "Hey, remember when I used to write?"

    That, my friend, is my biggest fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Annie... Indeed it is, quicksand that's just deep enough to bury my feet and keep me there, giving me the false sense of security and stability, and minute by minute, the years pass away, till the time I suddenly turn over to you at the beach, feet still stuck in that quicksand, and ask "Hey, remember when I used to write?"

    That, my friend, is my biggest fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Brian... I didn't. Actually, I couldn't.

    Thanks man :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Brian... I didn't. Actually, I couldn't.

    Thanks man :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. u kno it strangely reminded me of Inception...a happy dream separated by wall of reality...and u chose reality by that small step...let the wall crumble, but i will dance and merry inside the wall in the illusion of happiness

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ buckingfastard... Inception... that's interesting. This one was probably a result of reading too much of Jack London in too short a time span, actually :P hehe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

… and she said, “I’m all yours.”

A Brand New Family

The Friend Circle